Combining artistic beauty with a natural setting, the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden offers a quiet retreat to view the magnificent works of master sculptor, Dr. Leo Mol.
A short walk from the Pavilion, the garden was created as a result of Dr. Mol’s generous gift of many of his wonderful bronze pieces and works of art to the community in which he lived.
The garden is also home to the Leo Mol Gallery featuring works by the gifted artist and the Leo Mol School House Studio. The interior of the School House has been maintained intact complete with molds and plaster casts or major works, giving visitors a glimpse of how a bronze sculpture is created. The public may also view the National Film Board video, "Light and Shadow".
Dr. Leo MOl, O.C., LL.D, R.C.A
Leo Mol (Leonid Molodoshanin) was born in 1915 in Polonne, Ukraine. He studied in the Leningrad Academy of Arts, Kunst Academy in Berlin, Germany, and the Academy of Arts in The Hague, Netherlands. In 1948, he made his home in Canada. He passed away in 2009, after receiving multiple honorary degrees and being inducted into the Order of Canada.
Mol created his sculptures using the Lost Wax method. In this process, clay is modeled on a rebar and wood structure then covered in liquid rubber to form a mold. Plaster is layered over the mold, creating a cast. The cast and mold are separated from the model and melted beeswax is pressed into the rubber mold. A cement mixture is then poured inside the wax layer. After the cement hardens the molds are removed, leaving a wax model with a solid cement core.
SEE MORE PHOTOS OF THE LEO MOL SCULPTURE GARDEN